| | | | | |
Fisherman of Men Church is a spirit-filled church in Washington, DC with a great outreach ministry, Bible-centered messages, and a heart for our city.
he Fisherman of Men Church had its humble beginnings in the year 1969 in the living room of the home of its founder, Elder Clarence Groover and his wife Sister Nettie Groover. Their home was located at1110 Aspen Street, NW, Washington, DC. This founding family later purchased a house at 1222 Maryland Avenue, NE, Washington, DC and renovated it to qualify for church occupancy. This house was officially dedicated for the Lord’s service on May 15, 1971. The first floor of the house was used for the church which included a baptismal pool. The founding family’s home was the second floor and basement of the house.
In 1970, Mother Adlin Kelly from Jamaica, West Indies started worshiping with us and two years later she gave her right hand of fellowship becoming the first member of the church. One year later, the pastor fellowshipped the second member Sister Geraldine Pitt. During the time of the living room services, 264 services were held in which there were only three adults in attendance, Pastor Groover, his wife Nettie and Mother Kelly.
The Church’s initial outreach to the community was through the Sunday School. The church attracted more than 75 children from the neighborhood, many of which did not know the Lord’s Prayer. Sister Groover formed a Sunday School Choir and made special uniforms for the children to sing in. The children sang at local churches. In 1972, the church chartered two, 49 passenger buses and took almost100 children from the neighborhood to Newark, NJ to sing on a program at the Light House Church.
This was the real beginning of a g
reat branch in Zion and this house was fondly called “The Cradle of the Fisherman of Men Church”. The church prospered under Elder Groover’s wise and prayerful leadership while in this home. During the seven years at this house, hundreds were baptized in Jesus Name and many baptized with the Holy Ghost speaking with other tongues and many healed by the laying on of hands through faith and the power of the living Christ.
In 1977, God placed the church at 3641 Georgia Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, centrally located in an international community. In 1978, God blessed the church with a weekly radio broadcast that can still be heard over WYCB 1340 AM and oline at www.myspiritdc.com at 11:30 pm every Sunday night. In 2001, the Georgia Avenue building was renovated into a modern church facility, which was dedicated on December 8, 2001.
We overcame a “Historic Landmark Designation” in 2012 and proud to be a neighbor amongst other iconic institutions that serve the needs of mankind near and far. Some of these neighbors are Howard University, Georgetown University, Walter Reed Hospital, The White House & Children’s National Hospital. The
church completed its fourth modernization phase, an exterior facelift to the building’s exterior façade and installation of a 52 kW Solar Energy Powered System. The renovated building was dedicated April 5, 2014.
The church has grown many folds over the years and continues to convert and attract strong, committed God loving members of many nationalities and ethnic diversity.
Fisherman of Men Church is a spirit-filled church in Washington, DC with a great outreach ministry, Bible-centered messages, and a heart for our city. We are a church with a 50-year history built on strong Apostolic values and rich family and community connections. Worship with us on Sundays at 11 am at our DC location or online, anytime!